View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Merci Alizée

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, though this one won't work. The server cost isn't due to the number of videos or overall traffic per month, it's the throughput needed to provide smooth streaming to multiple users at once at any given moment. Videos are a different beast from images and pages because once playing they can't be broken up, queued, and delivered as bandwidth becomes available. So we need to maintain a high output rate at all times. There could be one video on the site and the price would still be the same.
Yeah, then in that case hosting videos won't help much. My suggestion would be to consider what I said for the youtube channel of AAm

I gues you are not removing video section soon, so people can start working on the youtube channel from now. Don't add any new videos to the videos section. All the new video request can be added to youtube.

Also, lot more videos can be added, like many recent interviews and some other videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
AAm youtube channel : Add as many videos as possible to this channel.
There will be two ways to manage all videos.
1. Create a page for AAm youtube videos. Add the link just next to Twitter, facebook links at the top. In that page keep everything similar to the original video section of AAm. I mean the only difference would be that you would be watching embedded youtube videos just like you do in threads. Rest would be same on that page, small description, English lyrics, translation and link for discussing the video. This would certainly reduce effort for searching her all videos and finding more about them. This would certainly lead to better organization of contents and details on the forum. This is the part which will be managed mostly by Ben. If he thinks that it is time taking and he finds it difficult to take out time for this, then he can certainly ask some of members here who can help in designing such pages. He can either ask anyone to design all pages or he can design one page and ask someone to do similar pages for all videos.

2. Managing the youtube account. Ben has already mentioned that it would be a sharable one. My suggestion would be to give this account to a team of 2 people who will do all the thing. First part is growing this into a full fledged video channels. Someone who has good internet and time to upload all the videos can do this task. After that there comes the managing part which includes frequents edits and updates.
There would be different playlist on the channel which would helpful in categorizing the videos. Playlist could be similar to the ones which are in the video section like Music videos, interviews, etc.
This is just an extension of Ben's idea quoted below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I'll make a shared account everyone working on this project can use:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlizeeAmericaVideos
(nothing there yet)

Anyone interested, contact me. I just want to make sure things are uploaded in a very organized way, with captions where available, and only using the highest quality files possible. I can mail out some stuff burned to disc (subtitle and video files) if it would help.
For all those people who want to work on this :

Maintaining the standard adopted by AAm is important : good quality videos with English subtitles.

Make a list of videos to be added to the youtube channel. Get the high quality videos for those. As Ben suggested that he can mail some discs. They can download those from the video database also.

Most of the videos are already available on the youtube, especially the older videos. So, I think the newer videos are good to start with.

Prepare a list of new videos that should be added. Get the subtitles and add those to videos.

If anyone wants to upload AAm videos, then they can directly upload the good qualities videos directly or they can download AAm videos from here : http://alizeeamerica.com/media/ and upload those.

Only thing that would need to resolved is the case of blocked videos. Try to find a way to add those also.

Last edited by Merci Alizée; 08-13-2010 at 02:53 AM..