View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 01:46 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
You are absolutely correct and my mistake and I should have known better. Corsu goes way back long before the French took Corsica as a territory. In fact, if I was visiting Corsica and implied to the native that their language was Corsican French, I probably would have to run for my life.

Just FYI - I remember reading an article on trip planning to Corsica as a foreigner some time ago. They did not recommend trying to communicate with them in Corsican... unless you are Corsican. French is the best choice, but Italian and Spanish are passable.
The French have had a reputation of being kind of difficult I'd guess you'd call it with foreigners at places like restaurants which I've found true not only in France, but also Quebec, but on my last trip to Ajaccio, I had dinner at the Chez Paulo restaurant. I met Blanche again. She doesn't know that much English, but they had a young man working there named Max who spoke English very well and he said on Corsica, they are making an attempt to be very cordial with tourists and that is what I found there. I can't remember having a bad experience there (except the guy on the train). Which is important when a visitor tries to speak the language and their pronunciation isn't quite right, they have the patience to figure out what you are trying to say.