View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 04:27 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Ok, so there was the whole waiting for it to be released thing, but it's rather hard to avoid listening to these songs and everyone's talking about them; so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
...or is herself the syndrome...
Reminds me of ALS.

8: I went with "coca" instead of "coke" to maintain the reference to the anesthetic drug-like potion Juliet consumes, as opposed to a modern soft-drink.
Really? What reference? It just sounds like people like coke/coca to me - because people can relate to that. Hmm...

10: I adopted this from the RMJ's English translation, keeping the "plus" negative just as the "pas" that had been in this place throughout the rest of the song was.
This I have always found strange. Is it because in casual spoken French they are dropping the 'ne' negative marker; so, instead of 'n'a plus' it is 'a plus' and you just have to know that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
I disagree, and this is why. The song is ironic, it's about Juliet's image as a symbol of love, contrasted with the bitter reality of how her love was thwarted and her life and Romeo's cut short by the tragedy of their situation, with overtones of criticism directed at the Bard for being so cruel to his characters. To the average person, when you say "Romeo and Juliet" an image arises of some kind of perfect, passionate young love. Yet in reality, nobody with any sense would want to be in their places.

So calling Juliet a "pretty syndrome of love" is a way of evoking that irony. I think this is what the writer (whoever it was -- Jean Fauque maybe?) had in mind, rather than merely saying that Juliet suffers from the symptoms of being in love.
Well, I agree that the implication is not "that Juliet suffers from the symptoms of being in love", but that either she is the symbol of love or perhaps the whole story is. Either way, I can see how both syndrome and symbol would work, which, if you have that connotation in French, then it's really just not translatable and you must notate it anyway.

"To the average person, when you say "Romeo and Juliet" an image arises of some kind of perfect, passionate young love." Well yes. It is just like Lolita actually. The main draw of that book is the expression of love driving toward perfection of the emotion, yet certainly it ends as a tragedy. No one would want to be in the postion of Lolita or Humbert, Romeo or Juliette. Then again, such a love these people will give their lives for.

So, is Alizee taking a pop-culture history class or something? Just kidding. I know, she didn't even write these songs, but that's two songs along the same lines - past popular culture, heroines, tragedy, some rappy parts in both songs.

Merci Fanny