View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 11:10 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Now this is something that interests me because I work in aviation and I'm a ww2 history buff. If nobody else is interested, so be it. It's something I want to find out myself. A few days ago, Jo Jacotey posted a picture of a good looking young woman in front of an old radial aircraft engine. At the time I asked where it was from. I found my answer very soon when I scrolled down and saw he had posted a few other recent pictures.
I asked Jo about the pictures as I have done with other pictures he's posted, but was surprised by the fact that this time he actually answered me. He said this was an engine from a B17 engine and it turns out it had been retreived from the sea and it was at a Corsican air museum. After not being able to find it the museum on line, I asked where it was and he said it was closed. I don't know if he meant closed for the season or more likely permanently closed.
So the main thing I'm wondering is was this picture of the enging taken inside or outside. I think it was outside and I'd like to find it. I think this should be simple, but I'm not sure.

Edit:

I found this info on the wreck;

The wreck of the B17 plane is one of the legendary wrecks along the Corsican shores. A.k.a. 'The Flying Fortress', this 32m wingspan over 22m length American Bomber had 4 engines and 13 machine-guns; it could cover up to 3200 km on a single trip. This very one, skippered by Lieutenant Charplik, is one of 4750 lost during WWII... On the 14th of February 1944, it takes off with 10 men aboard en route to bomb out the railway system in Verona, Italy; a squadron of German Messerschmitt 109 planes engages combat on the way. Serioulsy damaged by the fight, it lost 3 machine guns and changed its course for Calvi, with only 2 engines running. Eventually it is forced to a sealanding and only 6 members of crew are rescued.
Today the wreck rests 27 meters down, on a sandy bottom, at the foot of the old city of Calvi. As you descend onto the plane, a clear picture of its massive size emerges: it lies flat with the two wings and the 4 engines still attached, in good conditions. The tail has disappeared, providing a way to look at the inside of the cabin, along with the cockpit, still intact with the instruments and the pilot seats! Check out the engines, though a few parts and blades have been removed by metal scrappers, or just damaged and lost on impact... Some conger and moray eels have settled down in the wreck, and a few groupers and wrasses swim around!

http://www.tribloo.com/en/dive-sites...ane-wreck.html

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 02-08-2016 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts