View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 03:48 PM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Oh wow! Well, sorry, I didn't notice that that was a link. I thought it would be harder to find. That is... I don't even know where to start.

And dude, just 'cause it's called brain magazine... uh, have you looked at what else is on their site? It's not about being brainy.
Still haven't read it all yet, but...
I find this a sad commentary on how perhaps Alizée has seen her previous work. I have heard of someone close to or maybe Alizée herself referring her previous stuff as just crappy pop music or something to that effect and indeed a lot of people think of it the same way people talk about Britney Spears. I know a guy who is a musican and he was like, 'oh yeah, crappy stuff like Britney Spears who can't even really sing that well. I'm a musician. I like real music.' I suppose being on her side of the fence she runs into a lot of musicians who have their opinions about what "quality" music is and find the general public (us) to be a bunch of uneducated saps who haven't a clue what good music is. You know, artistic types. Well, and at the same time as I was just kind of joking there, we who are not "artists" (however you care to define that) tend to think they are too much up their ... hoohaas ... about the whole thing. We just care about enjoying what we come across, usually without putting much effort into it. To make a long story short, I thought the first two albums she did were of the highest quality so far, though Psychédélices was certainly professionally produced. Maybe it's just a question of style. However, I get the impression that Alizée may not have or feel much respect for what she's done in the past. If so, I'm afraid she really missed/doesn't understand much of what was so great about it. Just as some people might focus in on solely the idea that she had a lot of children fans and that some of the lyrics were frivolous in nature, I'm afraid Alizée may see it that way as well. I also wonder if another aspect entirely eludes such people, which is that while music is great and we all really are very affected by certain music, the music itself only goes just so far. With Alizée it was everything put together into a great experience, a phenomenon that one can be enthralled by that goes well beyond the simple notes and lyrics. I was really moved by the beautiful notes and meaning of the lyrics in some songs. Somehow it seemed to mean something even if in reality it didn't really mean anything to her. Honestly, that's what's missing now. I don't as much get the feeling that the songs connect up to Alizée (even as a persona) much or that I can relate to them. Maybe that's something that is just out of her control and relates more to the audience than the creator, but that is a difference. And, I think it's a difference that Mylène understood. So, excuse me if I get defensive to criticism of Alizée's earlier work or any suggestion of it. I find it b.s. that they are even talking that way. Good music is that which I like and if there are "industry guys" who are so full of themselves that they think popular music can't be good (presumably because we are all lowly clueless commoners) they can bite me and I'm really sorry that Alizée has had to work amongst such people (or that she has had to face that kind of attitude). Having said that, of course, just because something is popular does not at all make me think it is good and I do understand that sometimes because of marketing and the way attention begets attention things that are mediocre get more popular than better stuff. I've heard good music being played in the halls of the Paris metro.

oops. sorry for the long rant
Long rants are fine! And this one was quite interesting. Usually, due to time constraints, I tend to simply skim posts such as this. But this one had me enthralled... Amazing work! Oh, and I don't get the signs at all. Think they are trying to trick people to think that her teeth are THEIR work? Really? Because that is plain idiocy. Alizee has some popularity in Peru, right? It would be like an American dental office with pictures of some popular girl here. I don't know who is popular here, I don't listen to American music.