View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 06:44 PM
alizée ninja

brad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFrenchie
- "Des extrémistes à deux balles": in this sentence "2 balles" is for "2 Euros" (well, in fact for "Francs" before the Euro but it's still used!) like when you say "buck" for Dollar, so litterally: "Extremist not worth 2 bucks", I'd say something like "laughable extremists" or simply "stupid extremists"
a lot of people think she is talking about 'Male Extremists' here (if you can see the obvious connection). I always knew there had to be something more to that .. just didnt seem right, lol.

Quote:
- "Qui m’expédient dans l’cafard": VERY weird, it's not good French for sure (Farmer's dialect! ). Although, I'm sure of the meaning: "avoir le cafard" (or "sombrer dans le cafard") = "to feel low / glum / blue", so -> "That make me feel <choose-one-the-best-word-here>"
This is interesting ... looks like the translation I am using is WAAAAY off here.

Quote:
- "Y’a comme un hic": my dictionary says: hic = snag (could it be good?). Anyway, explanation is always better than word for word attempts: we say "Y a un hic" in French when there's a little problem, a little worry, something unexpected. "Comme" = "Like", so I'd try "there's like a little snag" (if snag is ok for you???)
After looking at what you wrote, I actually think 'tricky' works here. I think the people that translated this song tried to take a lot of 'symbolism' out of the lyrics .. probably more than there should be. (like why they chose to use tricky here instead of snag)

translations are interesting, because words can have so many subtle meanings when used in different ways. you can really change the meaning of a song just by chaning one word here or there.

I wouldnt mind seeing your version of this song .. but like you said, I think most of these songs are literally impossible to translate.