View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 12:54 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road
Default Discord - The Backup Community?

Hello Lillytown People!

Do you or anyone you know use Discord?

AAm was recently brought down for several days due to possibly corrupted data, a bug of some kind, or an attack. I don't know for sure what it was. In the Mod Forum, Ben the site owner, had previously suggested Discord as a potential alternative or backup community to AAm should it ever go down permanently.

I'd like to make it clear that I am not advocating an abandoning of this site. I don't think an Alizée Discord server could really replace AAm. It's a different animal altogether, apples and oranges. CC mentioned in the chatbox that there are many years (since 2006) of history and information on AAm. That's fourteen years of posts and discussion that remains incredibly valuable to the fan community, even when taking into account all the dead links and blank pages. Should an Alizée Discord server exist fourteen years from now, you would have to scroll for many hours to find discussions you can find with a few clicks on AAm. So once again, we're talking about a different thing altogether.

Personally, I have never used Discord. However, I've seen it used many many times by other people, and many YouTubers, Twitch Streamers, and fan communities of all kinds use it regularly to discuss different topics. Like AAm, you can post upload pictures, link to videos, but you can also use voice and video chat. 10 years ago (!) for the tenth anniversary of Moi Lolita, many AAm members gathered on Ventrilo to celebrate. We used it on another occasion for the live updates on the UEDS polaroid shoot around the same time. Using it for the first time was clunky and awkward, but imagine if we could have features like that built in? A clever, interactive, and modern platform where you can also send PMs, use emoji, create custom stickers, and more.

I recently made a Discord account to follow a YouTube community I already followed elsewhere. I had the idea of creating a Discord server for Alizée fans around the world to congregate. As CC also mentioned, this is probably the last Alizée forum left standing. But what that says to me is that there are hundreds if not thousands of Alizée fans out there who have lost their "Alizée home." Sure, you can follow her and fan accounts on Facebook, Twitter, IG, and more, but there is no one place for all to come together and discuss news and music, etc. There used to be many fan sites for people all over the world. Mexico had several forums, a few India forums, there was even a Lillytown USA for a time. Alizée Forum had several subforums for different language users. For whatever reason, some of these folks never found their way to AAm. But they are still out there.

I wonder if we could find a few that use Discord to bring some of them together.

https://discord.com/

For those who don't know what it is, Discord is a platform for online communities.

In their own words: