Thread: Eden, Eden
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 05:49 PM

babyblue558 is on a distinguished road

This is probably my favourite song from the album (either it or Mes Fantômes). I think it's a perfect opening song, definitely bringing a sense of the great adventure that's about to unfold. It's really optimistic and joyful- certainly something I prefer over the darker moodiness of songs like Factory Girl and Limelight.

For some reason it reminds me of summer, taking me to the same place I go when I listen to L'E-mail a des Ailes (a beach somewhere in the South of France incidentally ). It's another song I can just listen to at the end of a busy day and forget about everything and be immediately put back into a good mood. I would definitely rank it within the top 5 Alizée songs ever.

From a musical viewpoint, Alizée has never sounded better, and you certainly get some of that girlish charm that Gourmandises and MCE were full of, proving that she really hasn't changed as much as some people would make you believe. In fact, I could easily imagine a Gourmandises Lili singing this (or MCE, or Psych)- it's just such a universally perfect song for her!

The little speech bit at the end is so lovely, despite my having no idea what it means (translations don't help in this case!) and it is as if she's setting the scene for the wonderful journey we're going to go on. The melody is so beautiful and unique (interestingly, it was composed by Robin Coudert, the same guy who did Mes Fantômes which is my other fave song of UEDS- Lili should hang on to him!)

Similar to that song, however, I don't think the electro-instruments really make the best of the amazing composition, and it would be far better done with <s>real</s> *other* instruments. I think my dream world would involve a small, informal evening concert outdoors by the sea in France with Alizée singing Eden, Eden accompanied by a piano (and maybe with Mylène Farmer serving drinks ).

Last edited by babyblue558; 06-25-2010 at 07:48 PM..