View Single Post
Old 12-31-2015, 09:18 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

In the same interview I was 'quoting' last night, she also talks about the song Moi... Lolita and the book Lolita. I didn't pay much attention to it last night since it wasn't the part I was looking for but I went back it tonight to see what she said. Something about what she said had me wondering how well she was seeing the big picture at the time. Rather than post screen caps, I cut and pasted the subtitles from the part in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizée - 2003-06-04 - TV Feature - Une Heure Avec Alizée - Fun TV - Part 1 (by John Doe).sub

The book 'Lolita.'

The song "Moi... Lolita" was inspired by this novel, and when I met Mylène and Laurent and when they let me hear the song, they told me that the song was inspired by the book and that if I wanted to, it would be good for me to read it. And so I read it. I really liked it though it was a bit difficult at times, but good nonetheless since it made me a bit more aware of what I saying in my song.

Do you feel like the term "Lolita" belongs to you?

Not necessarily "belongs," but I think I started something because before, the term "Lolita" was known as one spoke of it, but that was all. And I think that now, if there were young girls like one sees nowadays and the song "Moi... Lolita" wasn’t out there, they wouldn't be called a "Lolita," because a "Lolita" is not a sixteen-year-old singer.

A "Lolita," when one looks it up in the dictionary, is a young girl who teases and enchants older men, while today one uses the term "Lolita" to describe a young female singer who is fifteen and who sings. So I think people aren’t quite sure anymore what the term "Lolita" signifies.