View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 12:08 PM

SlipshodDread is on a distinguished road

I think i need to re-iterate. Alizée's only big non-french market (also her biggest market as far as we know) is Mexico. English speaking countries, such as the U.K, U.S.A rarely if ever have non english songs in the charts. Songs like "Livin La Vida Loca" don't really count because they are almost entirely in English other than certain phrases, but I can think of a ridiculous amount of French phrases that are regularly used in English "Je ne sais quoi" "Deja vu" spring to mind... In fact Moi Lolita was one of the few foreign language songs to ever place highly in the U.K top 10.

So considering that, and that the general markets in the U.K and U.S.A are very unlikely to pay much attention to a song that they have no understanding of. That and the fact that Alizée like all French people prefer French to English, means that she is very unlikely to make an almost completely English song that ISN'T just made as an English version of an originally French song (unless you happen to count the 5 choruses of Les Collines as making it an English song.........)

And sadly people are pretentious arseholes. Most will dismiss an artist with a distinctly Non-English speaking accent (by non english I mean from a country that does not speak English as a first language, not as one of the many accents from around the world in English speaking countries such as the U.S.A, Canada, Australia etc) when they try to speak English "because they sound funny/weird/whatever" and that is the sad truth of things.

Oh and UEDs was also released in the UK, but only as a digital download, not physical copies. I get the feeling that if she manages to get into a high position in the U.K charts with her next album that she could see the potential for success in the U.S. The reason being that the U.K is a much smaller market (based on population) and is the closest country, in non-mainland Europe, to France. So here's hoping her next song can better Moi Lolita...