View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Zéeologist

Antares is on a distinguished road

These are some great comments already! I'll share my own thoughts now.

Alizée's music is definitely a big factor for me. It's unique, ages well, and she has a splendid voice. If she wasn't a singer (for example, only a dancer instead), I'm not sure I would have ever come across her in the first place, or have become as fascinated with her career as I am now.

But imagine if Alizée wasn't Alizée. What if somebody else had the same voice and made the same music... would I feel the same way about them? I don't think so. Alizée works as a whole package of talent, beauty, and personality. Yeah, I'm not going to pretend like I don't think she's one of the most beautiful women to have ever graced this earth, and I don't think that makes me shallow, either. Beauty comes in many forms in our world, and to deny our admiration of it is to deny one of the very things that make us human. Her physical beauty is also appropriately matched with a beauty of personality, as least as far as I can tell from various interviews, videos, and fan interactions. If Alizée were an arrogant egoist, I might still listen to her music, but I doubt I would belong to this forum or spend my time and money collecting her works.

I am a fan of a wide variety of music, and there's a lot of groups and artists who I count among my favorites, but I still find it amazing that none of them have ever affected me the way that Alizée has. There are singers who are exceptionally beautiful, singers who are incredibly talented, singers who are good-hearted people, and even singers that possess all of these qualities at once. Alizée is certainly one of them, but I can think of a number of others who fit that description as well. So if Alizée is not necessarily unique in this regard, what makes my experience with her so much different from every other artist whose music I love?

Simply put, it's the way Alizée makes me feel. Shortly before I had discovered Alizée, I had just started to come out of a particularly rough bout of depression, and for the first time in a long while, I began to feel a semblance of normality. Life didn't feel unbearably bad anymore, but there also wasn't anything particularly great about it, either. That changed one night when I stumbled across a live performance JEAM, and I saw the first light of genuine beauty and happiness in life once again. All of a sudden I was reminded of why I want to go on. I don't mean to say that Alizée became my sole reason for existence or anything, but to me, her music and dancing became a symbol of everything that made life worthwhile.

Now whenever I hear her music, I can't help but feel inexplicably happy. When I hear those first few notes of JEAM play, I can't tear the huge smile off my face. Her music makes me feel good, and I want to feel good as much as possible.

I don't even have to be listening to her music, though. Just one glimpse of that infectious smile is enough to make the warmth of happiness return.

I love what Alizée did for my life, and for that reason I love Alizée.

Last edited by Antares; 04-27-2015 at 04:38 PM..