View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 04:46 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

1. gone too long
2. "continuity" problems (style, looks, voice, music all different)
3. didn't come back and really wow people with slick performances (though she had some good ones, some looked unpolished and/or unpracticed and/or lip syncing has it's limits)
4. had music and lyrics that were over people's heads (some French people don't even understand Lilly Town for example and don't try)(but how is Mon Taxi Driver not appealing? She has some hotness in her songs you can see if you understand the lyrics. Maybe people hear it, but just don't feel it from her. ?? (or don't hear it because they didn't get the opportunity to hear the song)
5. not a great year for it (particularly '08)
6. music simply did not catch the souls of enough people right away
7. buzz/interest amongst fans either squandered or production lags missed their timing mark
8. didn't make use of the fact that fans were at least as much a fan of Alizée as her music and didn't cultivate them well enough (or eventually at all)
9. promotion was not at gigantic star levels from the beginning and as sales did not take off, some things eventually just dwindled and it was an uphill battle that died quietly

If Alizée is going to be able to keep making music, she'll have to find within herself the ability to "make it happen" somehow or team up with someone who can. Maybe her next album will be even better and we can at least enjoy that aspect. The fact that people are still around is interesting though. I have looked for sites for bigger stars and not found places like this. I wish she would have at least been able to maintain a better continuity with her Mexican market. She appeared for the award, but I wonder what 6 months of cricket chirping silence except for that one moment is doing to her popularity there. They were so excited there, like nothing I've experienced before. I am afraid that she has left them with nothing to direct all that energy toward. Well, they are the people who got all excited and created a huge following in her total absence before. Maybe they do have some staying power over there. Of course it's different. I can say "we'll see" except that the only thing to see is how her sales and fan excitement are whenever she decides to again present something to the public and it's anyone's guess as to when that is. That's the thing. It's hard to maintain high levels of excitement when one has no idea if or when something is going to happen. Maybe things are cooling down, but will pick up again when she actually appears. If I was not certifiably mentally ill I'd find it a wonder that I'm still here talking about the same stuff.

I wish I was French and she had the same level of popular there because talking about the lyrics to her songs and such is the more interesting thing we can do.

I also think she needed and still needs a hook completely outside of the music. Other singers do acting and other stuff. I think if she could actually squeeze more out of her life into her career that she could create interest by doing other stuff. Also, I think she still can get into various shows like Les Enfoirés and that Monaco concert if she wants to. I hope it's because she's busy creating for us another kick ass album that she's not doing that kind of stuff. Of course, what do I know? I'm not in the business.

Merci Fanny