View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 01:10 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightks View Post
Hi everyone, I was thinking about learning some french. Alizée has had a really big effect on me and I feel like learning french is a good idea. I just have a few questions.
1. Did anyone here have the urge to learn french because of Alizée and did you actually succeed.

2. What materials did you use and how long did it take you.

3. Is French a hard language to learn?

I already know a few languages. I'm fluent in English, I can understand Tamil and Telugu (indian languages), and I can read, write, and somewhat speak Japanese. I am also wondering if already knowing other languages will have an effect on learning French?

Thanks
I think the main question here is how much will you get to use the French language outside of listening to Alizée? Do you live in an area where there is a good size French speaking population? Do you plan on possibly moving to France or maybe some place like Quebec or New Orleans some day where French might possibly come in handy. If not, I wouldn't do it just for the sake of understanding her songs.

I have a niece who's father for some strange reason talked her into taking German in high school. What a huge mistake. She never gets to use it. We have a large Spanish population in Boston. She would have been much better off taking Spanish.

Who knows? Alizee might decide to have another baby soon and quit her music career. What good will your French do you then?

I would suggest you do what I did. Just learn her songs. I've taken the time to learn 12 of her songs. I started of with Moi Lolita which is very easy to learn. You just have to realize some of the lyrics are controversial, so some sites try and clean up the lyrics, but once you know what they're trying to say, it's a very easy song to understand and learn.

L'Alize I think is one of her best songs to sing along with, once you've learned it. Took me a while but it was well worth it.

I took 2 years of French way back in junour high school. Never really had any use for it until now. Even though it's been so many years, I still remembered the basics. It's just like riding a bicycle.

I think the most difficult part of learning French is realizing their sentences are structured differently than ours, but if you know a couple of other languages, then I'm sure you've run into that problem before so it won't be a problem for you.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 08-07-2010 at 01:16 PM..