View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 12:03 PM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

It's correct except "I haven't had any news of her". It's "I have no news of her anymore"

You've used "her "one and only"" and it's probably a good adaptation in English. Even in French, something's missing for me in "son cher et tendre", although you still can make nouns from adjectives if you want. Literally it means "her dear and tender" but it would have been better with a word after that, mari (husband) for example.

Quote:
I've got some sort of problem in the middle of the response
I guess it's the "if" that brings you trouble? And the one of the last sentence too, I'm sure. They're used the same way here. I'll try to explain: those two "if" are not conditional, but have a bit the same sense as "in spite of". It's just another meaning that it can't have in French but not in English I think (?)
Taking the example of the last sentence (that is shorter ), it doesn't mean that if Alizée is no longer under the guidance of Mylène Farmer, her opus will necessarily be a little marvel . It actually means that in spite of the fact that she's no longer under her guidance, her opus will be a marvel nonetheless.