View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 AM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

It's called "packaging". And when it comes Mylène, it shows an exceptional understanding of the business. Oh what a beautiful package indeed! And I say that for both Mylène and Alizée.

Mylène and Laurent have established a formula for success that works time and time again. It transcends generations. By the time the songs were ready for prime time, Mylène was too old. So she began a search for a young Lolita and discovered Alizée. When it came to packaging Alizée, Mylène simply used the same formula (in dress as well as choreography) that had brought success in the past. And oh what success!

Was it "too Mylène". If you were a Mylène fan, you would probably say so. But there is always a new generation. And that "new" generation would not be a fan of Mylène? And consider Alizée also benefited from YouTube, she would touch the world. The formula works.

I have since become a fan of Mylène & Laurent. Well, I say "since", but in reality I was a fan all along since they were the art behind Alizée. And I've discovered I like their art as manifest in Mylène's performances and in Laurent's compositions. In fact, I might dare say that it may be the sophistication that Mylène and Laurent brought to Alizée that hooked this 40 year old on the song and dance of a teen. Sure, the good looks are a hook....but without the sophistication of the song and compositions, looks alone won't keep me hanging on for this long.

Today's Alizée is packaged differently. Not as well as before. This is not an indictment, as few will do better than Mylène or Laurent. There are packages that will work for Alizée. Hopefully, those packages will appeal to me. It's what has kept me hanging on. I can see the potential. I know there is something there. I'm hoping she finds it.