View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 03:18 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdan View Post
May I say that what you called " a book about a lolita" is seen as a masterpiece of modern literature, and put by french newspaper "Le Monde" in his "100 books of the century " list.
There was a special on NPR about the book for it's 50th anniversary in 2005. It is indeed considered a classic of modern literature. Nevertheless, I do agree with Dave that it seems pretty bold or something I don't know what to have a 15 year old girl read that book. I felt weird reading it.

Trying to control her mind? You mean wanting to convince her that what they were doing together was a good idea? I think Alizée tried to convince herself too. I suppose that's what I would do in that situation.
I am not so sure I agree with BigDan about the levels of danger. People at certain ages have a certain sensibility that might be ruined by such exposures. Though, I wouldn't make that big of a deal over it and perhaps 15 is not as fragile an age as oh say, 22 for that sort of thing. By the way, I think there was some graphic decription in that book.

Anyway, no Karla, in my opinion it was not for convenience but for the previously mentioned reasons.

I'm going to say this one more time in this thread and hopefully it will stick with some people. While a maternity dress might be the same thing, I don't really know (come to think of it, maybe the whole pregnancy thing is how it came to be that women wear dresses in the first place) but as others have pointed out, the dress style is known as "baby doll" and it has been in fashion at various times. Especially here, there was a 60s theme and I get the impression that it was particularly in style then.
And might I remind you that Alizée has worn various versions of that style many more times since (2007/8). < random Google search photo
Oh and just to make a point about jumping to conclusions, it might very well be Alizée who chose the dress herself.

Merci Fanny

Last edited by Roman; 03-11-2011 at 03:22 AM..