View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 09:10 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdtv View Post
How much is an original "Alizée" worth to you?
Your point is taken. In the context of "art" pretty much anything goes. It's all about presentation, perception, reputation. I think Warhol's art was crap myself (or what I have seen of it), but Alizée, for example, thinks the idea of "The Factory" and generally the kind of work that was done there was really cool and I suppose I can understand that. Obviously, many people have thought that. Alizée's challenge was in creating a popular perception that could match and maybe even surpass what she had taken part in creating in the past. It's not about what any of it was worth, but about what people could somehow come to think it's worth, which is what it's worth by definition.

But obviously you enjoy going "down a rat hole" as they say, with your posts. Not like me. I'm just compelled to do so.

Anyway, to be honest, due to times of failing interest at the beginning of the year and having already spent money on the deluxe boxed set, I didn't buy Alizée's single of Les Collines. But I guess I got sucked back in enough to have my moments of inspiration with regard to Alizée. The album worms it's way in, you know? So, that's where I stand. What shall I do now? I don't know. That depends. I need to find someone who is determined to do something cool in this world to follow.

As for what fans can do, I guess it doesn't have to cost all that much if you have a huge enough fan base to find those dedicated enough and talented enough:

[Award winning unofficial prequel to The Lord of the Rings dramatising Aragorn & Gandalf's long search for Gollum. This 40 minute film, made by fans for fans is based on the appendices of LOTR and was painstakingly shot on a low budget as a homage to Peter Jackson's trilogy and the writing of J.R.R. Tolkien.
Costing less than $5,000 to make, with a team of volunteers, Independent Online Cinema are proud to have brought Middle-earth to the screen once more. We hope you enjoy The Hunt For Gollum as much as we enjoyed making it.]
Still, supporting Alizée is even more difficult in a way because there is only one Alizée on Earth and she only exists as she is for one moment at a time and the universe will never again see that Alizée. I'm sure many fans have had a great time creating art inspired by Alizée, including that full on professionally produced Mexican JEAM music video. But there is no substitute for Alizée in so far as one is a fan of Alizée. (Though JEAM sort of became bigger than Alizée herself. It's sad that she can't even admit that she's popular in Mexico because of it; she has her reasons I guess.)

Anyway, I am not so sure anymore that doing some crazy stunt would be worth much. So what if the "media" in France gets a whiff of something intriguing? She's been doing interview after interview in France. Does France not see her? Would that actually cause a big spike in her popularity and sales?

I think if it's a question between maybe getting something that the fans can actually enjoy and trying to do more promotion, I'd go for the former. I don't have much confidence in promotion anymore. Am I wrong?

She did the low budget David Rubato 50/60 remix video. I think that if someone presented a sincere desire to work with her and had some good ideas, she might consider it. Of course, she's apparently difficult to rope into doing anything and one must finally be prepared to be wholly ignored if not graced with rejection. I'm not sure if she just doesn't trust foreigners or just isn't interested in doing stuff until she feels very comfortable with it. Admittedly I'm not privy to much in the way of details of all the times Alizée has rejected/ignored people trying to work with her. So, of course, one must take care and luckily there are people like BigDan to help out with that. For all know, I come off as a real jerk. Maybe I am sometimes. It sucks, but that's life. I'm certainly not one to figure out how to negotiate the delicate paths leading to the acquiescence of this rarest of creatures: woman, French, Corsican, rather complicated work history (when you start considering certain things)...

Just read BigDan's other post. Yes, mymajorcompany.com. There was in the last couple years some popular French singer who got started that way or with a similar service. Just because Alizée has already been famous, does that mean she can't do that? Well, you said Institubes is not into it. Hmm. Still. The only reason the Mexicans succeeded and saved Alizée's career (and I do see it that way because it's where she had her concerts; maybe she doesn't see how important that was) to all of our benefits is because 1) admittedly people just plain took to her better there. Maybe they are easily led and have less distractions or less interesting stuff in their own country. I don't know, but 2) they were bold and didn't let anything stop them (and in that way put everyone else in the world to shame if you ask me, just in terms of their commitment and effort). I'm a humble man obviously.

And I don't know about multi-millionaire, but she obviously has enough money to live on and probably more than any of us. That's beside the point, or my point. I have thought about a grant myself, but I was thinking more like $30,000. Ok, grant, commission, call it what you want. What it means is not a gift, but money intended to be spent on some particular project, wherein she would probably still retain certain rights to works created and maybe not have much in the way of requirements in the case of a grant. She licenses her album to Sony. Is she only willing to do work that she has initiated? What does the press care anyway? They don't seem like they are really paying any attention to her anyway. No one ever seems to really know much about her when they talk to her, though yeah, I get that sometimes it might just be because they want to ask her questions that she can answer. One could try to keep it under wraps, but I guess with all the talk amongst forums, it would get out that she was receiving a grant/commission.

She acted as a DJ in a club the other night. What was that about?

Anyway, it looks from the poll that Alizée America is not interested in doing that.

Anyway, here's another interesting site for taking collections, but only charging people once the goal has been reached. http://www.thepoint.com/

Merci Fanny

Last edited by Roman; 04-24-2010 at 09:14 AM..