View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 11:33 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up À Roman Encore--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
... It takes so long even when I'm thinking in English. I guess that partially explains why I've never had such conversations with French people.
The "thinking in English" part is pretty cool, Roman. Until recently, I'd forgotten how that is. (I'd learned French when I was young, then didn't even need it for anything--for decades--until discovering Alizée and all of you.) The brain actually "switches gears" or something, and can it get disorienting at times! I've noticed lately that after a long night of reading or writing in French, I'll have trouble when trying to speak or write in English the next day!

As for "having conversations with French people", well, you will! Me, I just write out what I want to say in my first language (Engl.), then do all my editing on that, THEN translate it. Weeks ago, I wasn't doing that, just trying to write in French directly, but it was taking me a lot longer. Now, I`m almost back in form enough to really talk French w/ real French folk (like the people down our street), but my mind is still kinda slow there. Way better than a month ago, tho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
...And ultimately, like life in general, it is what it is. What can one do?
SEE - You're thinking in French right there! Salut! Bonne chance!

Last edited by Chuck; 09-15-2009 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: NO REASON AT ALL. WHO WANTS TO KNOW?!!!!?