View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road
Default A one month later followup

Not a day goes by that I don't think back to the March 29 autograph session when I met Alizée. I say met but it really was just the brief encounter that it would appear to be, just like all the ones we have seen on video over the last month. In my first description of the event I described that my life has changed for the better since I discovered her, and I feel like I owe her for that. She means quite a lot me in that respect. To be right there at the table with her, and then to be right beside her for the photo, I really was overwhelmed by it all at the time. I'm not able to come up with words to describe it. I was there watching the scene, and I suppose participating in it, but I was also running on 'autopilot' and just along for the ride. Seeing her in person brought it all together for me. I know that for every fan there is a unique case of fandom, and each fan has their own reasons and expectations. For me, it's converted my impression of her from a voice singing songs that I can't understand and someone on video from all the interviews and tv appearances and En Concert, and Enfoirés into an actual individual, just like all the other people I encounter everyday. (Though most of them bother me.) I have no interest in her other than supporting her career and wishing her the best, and helping others to know about her. Meeting her makes all that easier to do.

Something unexpected has occured however. For several months before the new album released, I had been making an effort to download and save as many photos of her that I could I find. Each day I'd spend some time locating and saving copies of everything new, as well as looking for older things that I hadn't saved yet. That has no longer seemed important to me. I still like to see what new pictures come out each day, and there have been plenty this last month, but I don't 'collect' them anymore. I don't really know why that is.

And now when I see the newest interviews and video, I see her and I remember meeting her, and much of the awe and mystery are gone. I don't mean that in a bad way at all. I have a more realistic view of who she is and how she is merely another one of us dealing with life day to day, and trying to do what she wants to do.

And I wonder how she has been able to unknowingly do for me from the other side of the ocean something I've never been able to do for myself in many, many years of trying.

I doubt that I'll feel a need to go to another autograph session. I had one item from my "5" collectors box set personalized this time, and having convinced myself that she is 'real' I don't see what returning would accomplish, other than showing her that she has fans all over the world. But I won't rule it out either. Next, I'd like to see her performing live, hopefully singing her own songs, or at least maybe at Les Enfoirés.

I apologize for this being unorganized and poorly written. It takes quite a bit of effort for me to write about my thoughts and even more to actually share them. I've been told by some members that they are interested in hearing more about the autograph session so I'm giving it a shot.