Thread: Mylène Farmer
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 04:38 PM

Jazzmin is on a distinguished road

As for me, it is not visible in this particular song that she should decide against it (Moi, j’ai le souffle court... in the music video the character attempts to take her life as well, vide the gentle balloon metaphor).

Of course, I get it that a simple use of some element does not make the element the main theme of the song. But in this song suicide does recurr. The disappointment works as a preludium to it, then the beauty and goodness of this world are mentioned to remark the paradox (constant conjuction "mais") they do not make the ego stay.

BTW, Mylene herself meant CUBJ as a song about suicide and the orginal lyrics were a bit more literal...
Quote:
Je fais appel à ma mémoire, mais je me souviens quand j'ai écrit C'est une belle journée, dans le refrain, j'avais mis: "C'est une belle journée / Je vais me tuer", à la place, aujourd'hui, de: "C'est une belle journée / Je vais me coucher". Et, je crois que là, ce pourrait être un appel au suicide pour certaines personnes un peu fragiles. Et, j'ai changé ce mot pour un autre, parce que c'était peut-être tout d'un coup quelque chose de trop fort, trop déterminant. Je crois que tout est possible à partir du moment où, une fois de plus, on ne fait de mal à personne.
Source: http://mylene.net/mylene/mylene-farm...8-janvier-2006

By no means am I demanding your interpratation be exactly like the songwriter's and pardon me if I'm sounding this way ^^' . I just think it's the most relevant, you know.

And I do know "Jardin de Vienne" - it deals with the discussed topic too but in different mood and from different point of view (in CUBJ the ego herself intends to do it; in JDV the ego copes with grief triggered by the tragic action of her friend). As for Mylene's album songs, I'm familiar with every single one of them and can assertain you there's nothing to be discovered by me on that realm. I can be perhaps astonished by uncommon, rare works of hers; it was few months ago that I came across "Bad Girl" (English version of noble "Libertine").
The Round belong