View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 05:51 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

This post is off topic. It concerns the next part of my trip to Brussels. One of the reasons I chose Brussels is because i wanted to in some small way, show my support after what happened here.

I originally wanted to go to the airport, because there were people from my airline who work there, but time and another huge reason, made that unobtainable. So I was still eager to do something and as I was walking around the city, I saw there was in front of the Hotel de Ville (city hall) a place where many other people had placed flowers, candles and signs of support. But it had rained this day and all the candles were out and all the flowers had turned to mush. So I decided instead to stop in at the nearest church and say some prayers for the victims. Well I came across a cathedral, so I walked up to it and a guy standing outside said it was closed for a private piano concert......Really????......I will send an e-mail to the pope.......jk.

But today I did come across a church when I went on a bus tour of the city of Ghent and I was able to accomplish my mission.

Another thing that happened to me yesterday, on the long walk to my hotel, I came across a homeless guy (Actually there were numerous homeless people around the city) who had a dog that very much resembled a dog I used to have which I take my nickname from.....Scruffy. So I always give something here and there to these people, but after passing by this guy, I turned around and gave him 10 euros and said please get the dog something decent to eat. As I was leaving, I noticed next to the dog, was a rectangular piece of I have no idea what, but I'm sure it was meant to be food for the dog and it looked more like a piece of plastic.

Well I rounded the corner and I saw not far away, a bar that served food including burgers and I asked if I could get two burgers to go. I went back and gave the homeless guy one and I fed the other one to the dog. Now this dog had seemed completely lethargic up until then, but it really perked up after tasting the burger.

I asked the guy where he was from and he said Slovakia. He said he had been here for a couple of years and times had been tough, but he hoped to have some work in a couple of weeks. Later on that night when I passed by, there was another homeless guy with him and the other guy had this and another dog, lying on top of his legs, with them on thier backs, as if he was using them as a blanket.