View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Merci Alizée

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVVACCPLPNLY View Post
Oh... Sumit the answer is Alizee. I'm still not sure how to pronounce letters for sure. My sources indicate that the basic vowel that is built into consonants, and you started her name off with, is prounounced like run. Meaning that would be pronounced 'uhleezay'. Sigh... Lonely Planet BLOWS...
I can't use that tutoring site right now either from here.
Unfortunately I couldn't get much time on computer for last few weeks. Since I have 3 days off, so I can try to do more.

I think that spelling of Alizée written by Sumit is not correct. It should have been

अलिजे

and not अलीजे

The first one is Alize and second one is Aleeze.

<hr>
<hr>

Just for the reference of everyone :

In Hindi there were vowels, consonants and modifiers. You can see those here.

- It is first vowel. It's pronunciation is same as of run or ugly.

- Same as a in car.

- Same as i in Alizé. It's short.

- Same as ea in clean. It's longer than i and more stressed.

- Same as u in Cuckoo, Just like i it's short and less stressed.

- Same as oo in Cuckoo. Longer and more stressed just like ee.

<hr>
<hr>

Then in every word, each consonant combines with vowels and/or other consonants. Consonants can't be without a vowel in a word. However vowels can be used alone in a word. You can see how the consonants are said. The image below gives an idea about that.

The symbols which you see in the brackets are used when a consonant combines with a vowel.

For ex - let us understand the formation of the word Alizée.

First letter is A. It's sound matches with

Then there is li. L is a consonant and it has a vowel i attached to it. The sound of l matches with (see the figure) and the symbol which is used when i combines with consonant makes it लि

After that we have zée, which is said like ze or je. For that sound consonant in Hindi is and for e the symbol given in figure is used with it to produce : जे

That's how we get अलिजे

Last edited by Merci Alizée; 01-14-2011 at 12:13 PM..