View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 10:24 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post
Anyway, at one point in the game a teacher on the opposition team was running out of our half with one of our flags, one of my teammates and I then both race towards him from either side to try and capture him before escaping, but he gets past us, and then...BAM.
I collide heads with this girl and it momentarily knocks me out. Some of my mates described the loud 'bonk' sound made on the collision, though of course I wasn't able to remember it as I'd had a concussion. The girl wasn't affected as bad, I think she spent the rest of the night a bit grumpy with a headache and minor symptoms, but I'd just lost it completely
I've been there. Not playing capture the flag, but football (American). The opposing team's running back lowered his helmet right before colliding with me at full speed. Caught me right on the crown of my head. Luckily we had helmets, but this was 40 years ago and the construction of them was not the same as today. I saw stars, similar to what you might see in a cartoon, then lost consciousness for a few moments and my teammates were standing around me asking if I was OK, then helped me up.

The safety aspect of the game has changed for the better. If that happened today, I would be taken out of the game immediately and undergo concussion testing. The running back would be penalized for "targeting" and thrown out the game. But that is now, and this was 40 years ago. So nothing happened. No penalties, and I just sucked it up and played the rest of the game. I am certain I sustained a concussion, and it sounds like you did too.