View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVVACCPLPNLY View Post
Ok, I have a few thoughts. One: I agree with wasabi to a certain degree. If she doesn't want to 'come' (whatever that may mean) here, then the most we can do is promote her in small ways, as we have, or maybe this comercial idea. It is her choice in the end. No body can or should force her to 'come' here. Two: does anybody here honestly believe she should have a mass album release here? I have agreed with this point ever snce I heard my frst non-English music years ago. Foreign artists simply don't have the chance to become mass-marketable in the US, as sad as that truth is. This country is just too choc-full of strong patriots, and xenophobes. Alizée's simply is not the type of music for the typical American. If she did have a mass release here, and had reasonable success, I would take that all back. But I don't honestly see it happening. On the subject of México: how do you think she got that strong fan base there? She had to have an initial release there. TBC
I have to disagree. 1) Foreigners can be mass marketed (even assuming you just mean non-English), though it doesn't happen much.
2) She was already popular in Mexico before releasing anything there. They only released there because there was clearly a lot of support and many times a day Mexicans posting to her MySpace account begging her to come to Mexico and declaring their adoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I'm a little confused here. What I'm saying is really pretty simple to understand. I think if she had some type of major exposure in this country, she might have the same type of success that she had in Mexico a few years ago....
She got an increased sense of popularity and credibility by her fame in Mexico, but ultimately I would say that the "type of success that she had in Mexico" was selling albums and concert tickets.

So, is the idea to just create enough support that she will think it is worth coming over for something and thus having her support will help you take it to the next level? Is there a next level? That's what I'm trying to figure out. What is the strategy?

One could say that selling copies of her earlier work is a goal in itself, but unless it's just a way to "get a foot in the door", as it were, in order to turn people on to her new music and the possibility of going to a concert why would she come here for any tv appearances? That's why if you say that you aren't impressed by her new album and don't think a concert would be a good idea, I have trouble comprehending what the point is?

If Alizée gave up the chanced offered by Brian "Mon Maquis" to do a tv show in the U.S., I can understand that maybe she felt it would interfere with her strategy to promote in France or just didn't believe that it would lead to anything. So, I agree that getting a significant boost in interest by major exposure might help to convince her to take certain American fans seriously and help out with promotion here, but is that your point? I do believe that promotion here would be greatly enhanced by her participation/cooperation.

As to the other stuff...
When I found Alizée at the end of 2006, it was disappointing to see that all that great stuff happened years ago and since her situation changed, it was clear that it would not be the same, but unclear what would happen next. Still, I was eager to find out. In the time that I became a fan there was the excitement of seeing all the new performances and interviews coming out, but there was also an overarching looming end goal of going to a concert that pervaded the fan community and my own interest. I dreamed of going to a concert in France like one could see in "en concert". There were times when I felt like my interest was teetering on the idea of at least going to a concert before I could be satisfied. Well, my interest did not stop after I did go to a concert, but the concerts were great, just they happened to be in Mexico instead of France.

I'm not trying to say the radio station promotion is not a good idea. I was just trying to understand what the strategy behind it is.

Merci Fanny