View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 09:59 PM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkmale View Post
I've been reading a few posts lately about what we, as a fan forum, and as individuals can do to raise the profile of Alizee especially in the USA. Or worldwide for those of us not in the USA.
It got me to thinking.
We all know that 'our girl' should be a worldwide megastar. But the fact is that she isn't.
Why then is she so popular in Mexico? What did she do in Mexico that she didn't do in e.g. Argentina or Brazil or anywhere else in South/Latin America?
Was she promoted in a different way? Was there something in particular that made Mexicans like an obscure French singer?
Was it simply 'La Isla Bonita'?
If that is true then why Alizee? Why not Lorie for example? Lorie has also 'played the Latin American card' with songs like 'Sur un air Latino' has she not? And there are a lot of similarities between what Lorie does and what Alizee does? So why did Mexico pick one over the other?
My point is that if we can pin down the reasons for her popularity in Mexico then the conditions for that popularity could, in theory, be replicated in the USA or anywhere else for that matter.
Any thoughts anyone?
Well, here's what I saw happened, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. During the time that we we're all introduced to Alizée, for the most part I'm referring to the old fans. When her videos we're still fresh on youtube and other video sites, as has been described by some of the Mexican fans. Her fans in Mexico did some serious promotion themselves. They requested and demanded her music be played at clubs and radio stations, all this prior to her return. They even posted on wiki that all her singles had been number ones in Mexico, I saw this in wiki for almost a year even few months before her new album came out.

Needless to say they we're so enthusiastic about it, that Alizée's team saw this as well as a lot of publicity that had been made of her during her absence. If you remember when she first came back the second video we saw of her was when she had a gathering with some of her old fans in France and they showed her looking at Mexican magazines towards the end. Like I said in another forum, her Mexican deal was no accident it was all planned.

Alizée's team saw the potential, they put it to the test and the result was very favorable. The only small problem I saw was that because Alizée was promoted with all her old performances (obviously this was all the Mexican had at the time), some where expecting to see her the same way. Something we need to keep in mind when we promote her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Yeah. Though I think it's thanks to your media as well. That they were willing to listen to fan demand and play her stuff. Here it could be harder.

There's the language barrier (Mexico, and most countries for that matter, are more used to songs in another language - English!), stricter copyright laws and other legal issues (stations may not have the rights, or be unwilling to check if they do), and the media just being more closed-minded in general.

But yes, Alizée and her team followed her popularity to Mexico, they didn't create it. So likewise it will be up to us, not them, if we want to attempt the same thing here. She may help once the ball's rolling, but we'll have to start it.
You're right in your assessment Ben, radio stations here will not promote anything that's not recent so we couldn't have done the same as the Mexicans did prior to "Psychedelices", and there's that language difference as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar93 View Post
I think that's a very important point Ben, wether the media of a whole nation is open minded or not.
Personally I think it's almost impossible to change a nation/country's mind. :/
I'm not saying we can't try.
Edgar you have very good points, but to be on the positive side USA has a big percentage of mixed nationalities now a days. I don't know what the percentage is but we could find out if it makes anyone feel better...

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com