View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 02:18 AM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road
Default A challenge to our foreign language speakers

I have a theory that English is more flexible than other languages when it comes to the use of single syllable words. (This pertains to songwriting.)

What I propose is a sort of writing contest. Write something-- in your native language-- but whatever you write, it must only consist of one-syllable words. Only one-syllable words.

I'm a native English speaker (American), so let me give you an example:

Quote:
Let me give it a try. Please bear with me, for this is the first time I've tried this.

So, what do I say now? For one thing, I will say that which comes to mind. And to that end, I will say what I want.

What do you think so far? Do you think that this is a tough thing to do? You might think its tough, but its not. All one has to do is try!

I have made up all that you see here; all of the words are off the top of my head. And I can do this all day long, if you like!

I can just go on and on! Would you like me to do that? Try as you might, you can't stop me! I might bore you to death, but I just don't care!!! This is too much fun!

Have I made my point yet? Or have I gone too far? You be the judge--- tell me what you think! I want to hear from you!

I think its time to stop!

I made that up earlier today. It is written entirely with one-syllable words.

The forum has a Finnish member, a Dutch member, as well as several Italian members (and of course, others as well.)

So write some dialog in Finnish, using only one-syllable words.
Write some dialog in Dutch, using only one-syllable words.
Write some dialog in Italian, using only one-syllable words.

Etc.

Post your examples in this thread.

Last edited by Mr Coucou; 10-10-2021 at 02:34 AM..