View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 06:30 PM

RadioactiveMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
what do you see right off the bat that will not migrate? Attachments used in posts? What about the URL links? Would user accounts migrate cleanly, or would there be a re-registration process?
There's nothing that would be impossible, but I could see us having to make decisions about what kind of issues we could live with, to save with time and effort. User accounts would be easy so people would not have to re-register, but it's probably not worth trying to keep their old password working, since we could direct people to reset their passwords. The friends lists could be moved over to Drupal too, but only if a friends list is implemented there first. Maybe that's already a feature of the forum module for Drupal, but if not you either have to fill that gap (not *hard* to do, maybe it'd be OK to miss that feature. Do friends lists actually do anything?). Visitor messages, personal messages, and albums would need work to have on a Drupal site, then the data could be migrated.

Attachments and other post content could be migrated, but I don't think we'd get off as easy as just copying the post content. For example, this post I'm writing has a quote, so there's this markup:
Code:
[QUOTE=CleverCowboy;270088]
That makes vbulletin wrap that part of the post in HTML so it looks like a quote, plus it adds a link to post #270088. When migrating content like that to Drupal it might need to be modified to replace the post ID with a new one or replace the [QUOTE] part with equivalent code. Posts also contain lots of Smilies, which in the post content are just works with colons on either side, like
Code:
:bow:
The Drupal site would need a feature to convert tokens like that to an image - and support the same images we use today - or old, pre-Drupal posts would show that text instead of the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Radioactiveman!!!!.....How's life in Canada?
Excellent! Thanks. I hope everyone here is doing well.