View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 11:57 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

First, to make one point clear, I don’t care about the fact that Alizée lip synchs most of her performances. It was evident to me that she was that type of artist the very first time I saw her on “Tube d’un jour tube de toujours”. Also, I was neither surprised nor disappointed to find that most of her other performances on TV were lip synched since, as I have said, this is something anyone my age leaving in Québec is quite accustomed to. We have really great singers in Québec, but we also have singers that have poor voices and still go on to have decent careers. These singers often lip synch, if not almost exclusively. What I find unacceptable here, is that "Les Années bonheur" rendition is a clear deception to me.

As for her live singing people will often cite examples; En concert, La Javanaise, Dis-lui toi que je t’aime... Well, I have come to doubt Alizée’s singing capability so much that I am questioning those performances as well and I think they might have been studio enhanced to a certain degree. I just cannot believe that a person can sing so poorly as Alizée does in so many live performances and then be capable of sounding much, much better during other live renditions. Some of her live performances are technically so bad, it sounds as if they took any woman off the street and asked her to learn a song on the spot and sing it live.

On a side note, I had a small gathering at my place the other day and one of the guests asked me if I had a guitar. Although I am not a very good player, I do own a guitar, so I pull it out and gave it to the guest. He started singing popular songs and pretty soon we were all singing along. There were three women at that party, including my wife and I would say that the three of them were technically superior to many of Alizée’s worst live performances. That is three women, on the spot, no training, and who had no clue they would be singing that evening. And it is not a question of voice power since the three women had fairly weak voices. In the case of my wife, she will sign along songs from time to time when she feels like it. That is all she needed to have better control over her voice than Alizée.

My problem with Alizée’s voice has to do with what I perceive as a lack of respect for her fans. I believe that she should invest some time and efforts at improving her singing because her out of the studio voice is simply lacks control and consistency. And again, I don’t see how some *basic* training for this would be so demanding on her, or how it would put in jeopardy the texture of her voice, which her fans love so much. I tend to have more respect and admiration for people who invest time and efforts to be the best that they can be (be it at relationships, parenting, professionally...), so, evidently, her lack of professionalism does impact on the way that I see Alizée... I don’t ask that she becomes a great singer, that I doubt she can be, I just wonder why she doesn’t respect her fans a little more.

Last edited by Corsaire; 04-21-2013 at 01:25 PM..