View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

Here is an interview where France Gall talks about Jenifer doing a cover album of her songs.
It is in French. Here is the link and a translation:

http://www.bfmtv.com/people/musique/...306110088.html

FRANCE GALL: "JENIFER TELLS STORIES", UNIVERSAL DEFENDS ITSELF
The 06/11/2013 at 8:28 |
Tributes, covers: France Gall settles its accounts - -

In an interview with "Parisien", the singer explains her anger at cover albums - the latest one is that of Jenifer - recorded without her permission.
Jenifer's album certainly broke the camel's back. Singer France Gall , 65, confides her fed up in an interview with Le Parisien on Tuesday.

Michel Berger's muse explains, without concession, that she does not appreciate these tributes - in the form of albums or televised shows - which take up his repertoire without asking his opinion or his agreement.

"Jenifer tells stories"

Singer Jenifer, who has just released an album of covers from France Gall , takes it for her grade. "Jenifer is promoting her album of covers of my songs, which she produced in secret, without my consent. We cannot oppose this kind of project as long as the melody and the lyrics are not changed" , explains France Gall.

Before adding, visibly angry with the winner of the first season of Star Academy: "She tells stories. She says that I am difficult to reach. (...) She says that I know, that I 'approves and she has my endorsement. And that annoys me. "

As for knowing if she listened to the album, France Gall replied clearly: "They did not even send it to me and I do not intend to go buy it".

"It's like I'm dead"

The singer claims not to have been made aware of the project and to have learned about it through the Internet.

"I said to myself: 'It's incredible, it's as if I was dead," "she explains to the Parisian . "I am not against this kind of project but I would have liked to know it. I am here to defend my music and that of Michel", continues the singer, who considers that her repertoire has been "looted".

"Collapsed" by a revival of Lââm

France Gall is not her first setbacks with the covers since already in 1998, the reinterpretation of "Singing for those who are far from home" by Lââm , had "collapsed". "She sold 1 million. Everyone loved it. But ending in rap, that's not possible."

For the "Wax doll, doll of her" Jenifer version, France Gall is not more tender: "It's weird, my voice is missing", she points out.

Universal defends Jenifer

In a statement, the record company Universal took the defense of Jenifer assuring that the singer had "tried to obtain support from France Gall (...) without succeeding."

fg50.jpg

fg2.jpg

Here is a link to when Alizée played a joke on Jenifer with a prank call, early in their careers.