View Single Post
Old 11-10-2023, 08:30 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulina View Post
I like the way the site and the forum looks however I can see some users probably wanting a more phone friendly layout. My only complaint is the lack of a video section with subtitled videos. There are A LOT of Alizée interviews out there and a lot have never been translated. As for users not making as many posts as in the past it’s understandable because Alizée really isn’t making music anymore and isn’t making as many TV appearances like she used to. I think the latest thing she has done is a small appearance on The Masked Singer. She does make posts on instagram almost daily so there is that.
There is a vBulletin phone app, but requires the forum be at least version 5. We are stuck on version 3.8.4. I am in 100% agreement we need something phone friendly. Today you can pretty much do everything on a handheld device so laptops will probably go the way of desktop computers, into the dustbin of history.

Personally, I still prefer a desktop with multiple hi-rez monitors. But I'm in IT, and IT folks need the extra computing horsepower and multiple monitors. Maybe the phone chips will advance to the point where it can serve as the main CPU for a workstation and support multiple external monitors. Just plug it into a docking station. But I am getting ahead of myself!

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppo555 View Post
About the forum, I've been thinking the landing page should be completely reworked and new sections should be added, like photos, videos and magazines. I believe we could spread all the content through multiple Google drive accounts, so there's no cost in hosting the albums.

I have a simple design in mind that I could translate to Figma and maybe do myself.

Another thing - I believe there's free forum software other than vBulletin that we could migrate the forum to, so there's no licensing costs; it would all boil down to just hosting and storage costs, so I believe that's a better future proof solution than paying for such an old vBulletin version. This forum is not mobile friendly, which might deter zoomers from visiting and witnessing history.
It might take some searching, but we have had multiple detailed threads about revamping this site and exchanged ideas, etc. The landing page is, of course, where the most focus was. As it became more apparent that a whole new platform probably would not happen at that time, just changing the picture would be a big win. However, even that did not happen.

We thought of starting from scratch with a whole new site, but that would mean losing all the history and that idea was dropped. I still think our best bet would be to upgrade to vBulletin 5+ and let vBulletin host (prices are very reasonable). They will even convert an older vBulletin site to the new version and retain all its history for free, but they have to host.

They do not allow any 3rd party software, so we would lose our chat box and there would be only so much we could do with the landing page. But we cannot win them all.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 11-10-2023 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts