View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 PM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matevz91 View Post
Sorbian and Slovenian are one of the few languages in the world that have dual next to singular and plural. Being a Slovene myself, I consider it natural to use dual when I speak with someone in my own language, but I have noticed that more and more people of my generation (and younger generations) in my country are starting to use plural instead of dual, using the latter only when they want to stress that only two persons will do something (for example, when they talk about having a date or having sex ). Anyway, I see dual as something intimate and personal and I don't care if younger generations think that its outdated.

Sometimes, when I talk to somebody in Croatian or Serbian (which are similar to Slovenian), I sometimes intuitively try to use Slovenian dual, which of course makes no sense to the person I am talking to
I didn't know that dual exist in languages which are still used today. Only time we learn about dual is when we have to study Sanskrit where we have Shabd-rup (Form of words) which is just a table of how a word would be in different cases and number. We had to memorize those tables to learn how to form sentences.