View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 03:41 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

First of all, congratulations on two fronts. First in getting married, second on converting your wife to your religion (the order of Alizee that is)

Kind of interesting this should come up now. I can't remember if I posted this story here or if I e-mailed it to a freind but I'll relate it again either way.

A couple of weeks ago I recieved an invitation to a wedding for my cousin's daughter. On it they asked the recipient to request a song. Now I've always been close to my cousin's family. He has 2 daughters and a son. About 3 years ago, all of them were in college. I drove up to Canada with the son, and joined the rest of my cousin's family at his father's house for a short vacation.

One day I was playing cards down stairs with the older members of the family. I had my laptop out and I was showing them some Alizee videos. The kids (20s) were upstairs playing a game. They (the three kids and the older girls boyfreind) came down stairs to freshen thier drinks. Well Amelie just happened to be playing on my laptop. They recognized the name Amelie and it turns out, all of them had seen the movie, three of them on different occassions.

Getting back to the invitation and the song request, I wanted to request a song that wouldn't be inappropriate for the wedding. I thought Amelie would be good, because it's in English and it's a good happy story. I thought to e-mail the mother to see what she thought and she e-mailed me back that the movie Amelie was the favorite movie of the sister of the bride to be, so I'm hopeful that it will be played.

Last year I had gone to a family wedding and I had asked that Alizee's version of La Isla Bonita be played and they didn't play her version, but I think either of these songs would be good for a wedding in this country. A French song might seem out of place, but I think both of these songs would fit in very well.

The only problem with La Isla Bonita is it's sung in front of an audience and at times you hear the audience clapping and cheering which might be a drawback.
On the invitation, next to where I wrote in the song I requested, I also said that I could supply a cd 's go with the song on it.

If you were to play a French song, I'd have to choose ACC. It has a great beat and there are a lot of words in it that can be understood by any Enlgish speaking person. As far as it being appropriate that probably depends on whether your relationship goes against the current in any way.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 07-28-2012 at 03:52 AM..