View Single Post
Old 11-03-2023, 07:26 PM

Marshal Davout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coucou View Post
Its the same with me! With written French, I can maybe understand 40-60% of it. But listening to French, my comprehension drops to 5%-10%. It just comes at me too fast!
Oh ! I was thinking you were French; as sometimes you tell us what Alizee was really saying when we misinterpret it on her videos ! Ha ! And my crazy close-captioning never works right n my videos or else it gives me the wrong language ( as last time I tried to set it, it gave me Afrikaner, even though I tried for English; and then it wouldn't let me change it again ! )

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaberintarou View Post
This is the difference between active and passive vocabulary, this is perfectly normal even in your native language, you can probably read fancy literature and poetry, and yet, you wouldn't be able to write it or at least not to the same degree of sophistication.
Reading is always easier, at least for languages using the Latin alphabet, because you can take the time you need to decipher sentences, when you listen however, you have to keep up with the speed at which sentences are said.
Letters are objectives, you can't mistake a "t" for a "d" while reading, but when listening, things gore messier (like "this", "that", "the", "but"... "t" in English is tricky)
That's particularly true for French, which is known for being pronounced quite differently from the way it's written.
Some of the French emcees talk awfully fast ! ( although they may be pressed for time ) as in the Doron26 video for ALIZEE-J'en ai marre so it is impossible for me to tell what they are saying ! Ha !

Last edited by Marshal Davout; 11-03-2023 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts