View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightks View Post
I'm fluent in English, I can understand Tamil and Telugu (indian languages), and I can read, write, and somewhat speak Japanese.
Sorry, but those won't help you in the slightest.

French, like any other language used in Europe, is a Romance language. Although French is associated with love and stuff, "Romance" refers to the "Roman" language- i.e. Latin. Thus, knowing Latin, or any of it's descendants (Spanish being the most valuable) will greatly help you in learning.

Proper, thorough help doesn't come free. I've personally used Rosetta Stone. It isn't perfect, but it's the next best thing other than a formal class taught by a native speaker.

There are other, free sources available. The website I recommend the most is french.about.com

The author is a native English speaker, and she writes for native English speakers, so she understands the little things here and there that we English speakers will come across and not understand when learning French. Her website is awesome, and brimming with little tidbits here and there that you won't find anywhere else besides total immersion (figures of speech and cultural tendencies, for example)

I don't think it's necessary to classify a language as "easy" or "hard". The perceived difficulty stems from again, your previous familiarity with it and similar languages, but more importantly, your enthusiasm and motivation to actually learn it.

Good luck