View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 12:35 AM

Hylas1896 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by severianb View Post
Oh, nice thread topic. Fresh. I like it.

Take your phrase "detached snootiness"... I think the "Detached" part is dead on. The "snootiness" implys some glimpse inside this character's personality, and I feel we get non of that. Every part of this video implys a person with a impenetrable wall around themselves or the possiblity you are looking at a burnt-out shell of a human being.... or both.
Well, often when people feel one way what they project is exactly the opposite. For example, I'm not an arrogant guy (mostly ) but when I don't feel comfortable around people I'm sometimes a jerk in a standoffish sort of way.

Anyways, when a women wears clothes and makeup like that it sends a rather distinct message (not THAT message). Thick makeup, turtleneck shirt, it just piles on and on. It sets up a big shell. Same goes for the whole bit about hiding the eyes behind the rim of the hat.

At the same time, there is a bit of furtive coyness to the whole thing (which contrasts strikingly with the closeups of her lips and, perhaps, the dark room with the colored spotlights).

Also, notice when she 'cricks' her neck to one side, her chin, and how she stare right at you, but only in the 'dark room'. Very strong body language.

Hylas1896

Last edited by Hylas1896; 01-21-2011 at 12:45 AM..