View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 08:51 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Wikipedia had this to say about Pasquale Paoli;

The American Sons of Liberty movement were inspired by Paoli.

"The Sons of Liberty was a secret organization that was created in the Thirteen American Colonies to advance the rights of the European colonists and to fight taxation by the British government."

A few of the most notable members of the Sons of Liberty were,
Samuel Adams • John Hancock • Patrick Henry • James Otis and Paul Revere.

Ebenezer McIntosh, a leader of the Sons of Liberty, named his son Paschal Paoli McIntosh in honour of him. In 1768, the editor of the New York Journal described Paoli as "the greatest man on earth". Several places in the United States are named after him. These include:

Paoli, Pennsylvania, which was named after "General Paoli's Tavern" a meeting-point of the Sons of Liberty and homage to the "General of the Corsicans".

Paoli, Indiana
Paoli, Wisconsin
Paoli, Oklahoma
Paoli, Colorado

It would be very interesting to get into a good conversation there with some of the Corsicans to see what the general sentiments are today but of the few I had talked with on my previous trips, none spoke English well enough to get into a meaningful conversation.
Very interesting about Pasquale and his ties to the American liberty movement. I am going to have to read up about this.

By reading this article, I feel now I understand Alizee better regarding how she was severely homesick being in Paris, her strong family ties, and how she wants to be treated with respect as a woman. Plus, feeling that wearing a Colt hat is fashionable.