View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 12:48 PM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
:-)
I doubt very much that France Gall didn’t know about the true meaning of the song. At the time she recorded Les Sucettes, she was involved with singer Claude François, who was, according to many reliable accounts, a sex machine. It is true that she did go in hiding for 2 weeks when the story came out, but she was most probably just upset at Gainsbourg (to the point of ceasing their association) who couldn’t resist revealing to the public the obvious, but yet cleverly wrapped oral sex connection. I believe she then had no choice but to pretend not knowing the true meaning of the song. What else could she have done. I doubt very much that Gall was so innocent, even if she did look the part.

And I think Alizée was also playing the innocent young woman while she knew pretty much everything about the sexually charged content of Gourmandises and MCE songs. Alizée actually revealed later on in her career that the little innocent Corsican girl was just a ploy and that she was playing the part willingly and perfectly aware of the sexual content of ML. Why would it be different for other songs of that era? JEAM, for example, once one accepts that the lyrics might be about masturbation, how can one see the choreography of the famous dance as anything else than a masturbation display? Half of the choreography is spent with her hands and fingers flipping over and caressing her pubic area. You even have the background voices going “oooohhh ouiiiiiii!”. To actually believe that Alizée sang this song and performed that dance thinking it was about taking a bubble bath is plain ridiculous if you ask me.
Personally, I thought it was about masturbation IN the bubble bath. I'm not saying some of her songs weren't sexual, they are, and are quite obvious.

When you analyze a song word for word without really taking the rest of the song into context and where the words were used, you don't really get the real meaning.