View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 09:42 PM

Seapaddler is on a distinguished road

The intellectual property debate is not unlike the days in the 1920's and 30's when music was first being broadcasted for free on the radio. Most record labels fought against allowing free music to be broadcasted without compensation. A few record labels looked at it as free advertising for their artists. In the end radio stations eventually would have to pay to broadcast. But all came on board realizing it was great advertising.

I don't recall there ever being an uproar regarding reel to reel or cassette tapes recording songs off of the radio and replaying them for free. Because that was done in droves for decades before digital media.

Music on the internet is history repeating itself. Getting something for free without rewarding the people who brought it to you or advertsing to the masses? Well it's obviously both. But in years past you made a sacrifice for lower quality now the quality is almost at par.

If you find yourself in a situation where you could say something to someone about bootlegging someone's music just for the sake of getting it for free and say nothing, that's as cowardly and dishonorable an act as the person not willing to reward the artist and putting food on their table. "I don't have the right to tell people what is right and wrong" I can't even begin to convey how distasteful that attitude is. It's so warped on so many levels. How do you think society and civilization gets formed if it were not for people taking a stand on an issue. Would we still have slaves? Come on give your head a shake.