View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 05:55 AM

Fixty Sixty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Greg View Post
Does anyone have knowledge of how to recover data from a hard drive that my computer won't recognize (and that now makes a lot of noise when it's plugged in)? I haven't taken it to a professional yet, and I'm afraid of what it might cost...
I used a program called Power Data Recovery (www.powerdatarecovery.com) to successfully recover all the data from an external drive that had lost it's formatting in Windows. However, Windows was still recognizing this drive, so it was simply a software failure and not a hardware failure. In your case, the noise you are hearing would indicate a hardware failure. If it's just an electronic failure and you can get that repaired so that your computer can recognize the drive then a disk recovery program could work to retrieve the data. If it's a mechanical failure that has caused a head crash then the only option I know of that might work is to have a professional service disassemble the drive and magnetically lift the data off of the disk platters. This is a very expensive process, and I've never actually had it done myself.