Thread: Chemotherapy??
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 08:48 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, already.
I don't mind talking about it openly as long as it is ok? I thought for some it might be upsetting so i wasn't sure whether to open up a thread or not?
To cut a very long story short, i have a bowel problem called Crohn's Disease.
I've had it for over 20 years now and have had major surgery about 7 years ago.
I haven't been so good recently and the Surgeon started me on an Immunosuppresant therapy. It worked for a while (in controlling the symptoms) allthough the side effects weren't very pleasant.
Anyway, the bad news was that the side effects of this caused my blood Platelet count to fall heavily and it hasn't risen again to an acceptable level.
I had to have tests for Lukemia a few weeks ago and the results were not good.
Apparantley, because i am 45 i don't have full blown Lukemia but have a different form of it?
I have to start Chemo in about 6 weeks time and i'm terrified. I have to get an infusion about once per month and an injection of something every week.
It's hard to remember as Dr's talk so quickly and are difficult to understand.
The Hospital seems positive that it should be a success and am not in any danger (as long as i get the treatment).
It has me seriously depressed.
My problem is that i'm not married and live alone and don't have any family that will be able to take care of me?
How i'm going to do this alone i just don't know?
Again, sorry to post this and i'm NOT looking for sympathy. I just hoped that maybe someone on the forum might have experience with the side effects and could let me know what to expect. I know that i'll have to buy a hat and will vomit a lot but have very little other info?
Any of your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Junkmale; 05-21-2009 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: sp