Thread: Edie Sedgwick
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Tragic destiny

It's pretty clear Sedgwick was all-but-doomed from the day she was born. And it would seem the "blue blood" heritage and legacy money only contributed to her demise on the theory that nothing bad could really happen to someone so "privileged."

It is strange that people should be attracted to this story, especially a woman like Alizée from such a nice, sane family. Maybe it is morbid curiosity about "the other half," secure in the belief that such things only happen to other people. These are biographical places I would never have ventured but for Alizée.

In learning about the storyline surrounding <i>UEdS</i>, I stumble across some personal connections. Lou Reed and I were born in the same hospital, about a dozen years apart. Edie left college in Cambridge for New York in 1964, while I left New York for about a decade in Cambridge, to attend college, in 1972.

I never understood the appeal of Warhol, who struck me as someone who knew how to generate public conversation among comfortable, bored people by being bizarre, without any depth at all. Now I learn about the predatory way in which he seemed to use the vulnerable Sedgwick. How sad.