View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 05:37 PM
Zéeologist

Antares is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Maybe you can answer why do so many people take it in the consuming sense; even someone like my own sister?

It's interesting in my travels to France, so many remember Moi Lolita, but nobody remembers L'Alize, though it was a number one hit.
I've had a similar experience with my brother. Every time I show him a picture of Alizée, he never seems to recognize her unless she's wearing something sexy like her JEAM outfit. The funny thing is, I've shown him countless photos, and the JEAM vid only once, but that's all he can seem to remember.

I think the simplest answer is just that physical attractiveness is an incredibly salient feature that most people are likely to pick up on and remember more strongly than anything else. For people who aren't terribly interested in her music, the few things they will remember are those that are most salient in minds. This is why Moi Lolita will be more widely remembered than L'Alizé. One is sexualized, and the other is not.

For those of us who are fans, there is so much more to her than that. True, I probably wouldn't be here at all if I hadn't seen an enticing gif from JEAM and then clicked on a YouTube link. Her physical attractiveness may have been what initially led me to discover her, but it is far from what has kept me around more than a year later. There are plenty of attractive singers in the world, and plenty of attractive French ones too, but none of them have captivated me the same way Alizée has. Physical attractiveness alone has little to do with it.

And that's where I think Djr654's line comes in, which I couldn't agree with more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djr654 View Post
I guess I can best summarise things by saying that Alizée is more than the sum of her parts.
I'm still trying to figure out what all these other factors are that make her special, but it's a work in progress. I might not ever be able to pin it down, and I'm okay with that. All I know is