View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 03:09 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
Alizee understood that urban music was the market. She had stated in other interviews that she didn't care for that kind of music, but she understood that was the market. She tried to adjust to it without totally compromising herself. The result were tunes like "Décollage," a disaster.
I think I might have been the only one who actually liked the song Decollage (album version). The live version you posted was very hard to watch though.

Quote:
It's difficult enough for a white singer from the hood to do urban music, but for a nice French girl from Corsica, it's downright silly. On another occasion, Alizee was invited to stand in for Britney Spears singing "Scream and Shout." This could have been a breakthrough moment for our girl if she could pull it off. As it was singing lyrics like "You got to turn the shit up" in a sweet French accent worked as well for Alizee as those lyrics would have for the 96-year-old Queen Elizabeth. I thought she was adorable, but Britney's fans hated her: "Who the fuck is that Bitch?" To say she was out of her element is a gross understatement.
I have to admit, those kind of lyrics coming out of her mouth with that kind of music seemed so unnatural and out of her element. It is more of a novelty, and I want to cheer on the Corsican girl as she shows that she can do it, but I wouldn't have wanted that to be her new style.

Quote:
Alizee is best when she stays within her culture. That might not be the billion dollar world market, but there is a large audience for her music. Her singing appeals to men, other women, and even children.
I agree. She needs to be true to herself. In some ways I feel that if she broke into the international market with music with mass appeal (urban), she might be still singing today, and we all wouldn't be wondering if she will ever sing again. But if she had that level of success with music that does not fit her personality, she might have lost herself along the way.

I prefer her to be herself, at all times, even if it makes me ask those questions about her singing future.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 03-29-2018 at 05:27 PM..