View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 12:28 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Default Don't bug me - I'm listening here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Would I want a UEDS DVD with a slideshow of Lili photos?

No.

I just wouldn't. I'm busy listening. I don't want to have to look at something, especially something distracting.

What you're describing sounds to me a lot like a screensaver - one that lasts 36 minutes and 59 seconds and has a really great soundtrack. Do I want that? Do I need that? No and no.

And if I zoned out staring at the TV while watching such a screensaver, would I be vulnerable to cranial frying-pan attacks?

Yes.

Ouchy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by docdtv View Post
Thanks for your frank and on-topic response. Perhaps you might like to cast the first $0 vote in the poll to reflect your sincere feeling, and better inform poll readers. That's why the $0 choice is there.

Someone once told me this: "A man who is tired of looking at Lili is tired of life."
I jus' wanna 'splain why I said all that - about not wanting to have pictures to watch while listening to UEDS:

No, I'm not tired of the Lady's appearance! (or tired of life either) It's this - I personally think this CD is so intense, so complex, and so dark and unusual that photos of Alizée would be a conflicting message. It just wouldn't match up, no matter how hard you tried. This album IS very "visual" already - overall it sounds just like a soundtrack for "Edie - The Rock Opera". But until that rock opera is produced (ideally starring Lili), I'd rather just listen and watch it in my head.

My second reason for not wanting "distractions" while listening is more like this: you can listen to most discs once, maybe twice, then the songs are already burned into your brain's memory and you scarcely have to ever play the cd again. With UEDS, this is NOT the case! I've been playing it on my stereo, in the car, on my mp3, and on my computer. And it's still FRESH every time (well most of the songs, at least). I'm just beginning to know the songs enough to decide which ones I like more than others. But I still haven't made up my mind enough to vote on the "favorite songs" thread. I just don't feel like I know the record enough yet to give a qualified opinion.

(Fwiw, even Mrs. Chuck isn't sick of UEDS yet, either! That's remarkable!)

So this is a very complicated, sophisticated record.

Sadly, it appears that UEDS's sales in France are abysmal. First week: 3500 copies sold, 24th on the sales charts. Second week: 800 copies sold, 69th on the charts. This is HORRIBLE NEWS. Apparently, the greater French public isn't as sophisticated as we AAm forumites are. (sniff)

Lastly, Doc, I didn't check the $0 box on the poll because that would've implied I'd want the slideshow feature if it was free. Most accurately, I just don't want it. Period. No desire whatsoever. If this thing existed already, and people were raving about it, then I'd probably feel differently. But for the here-and-now, no.