View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

So I was watching the College Football Playoff Championship game last night, and some rap "artist" named Kendrick Lamar did the halftime show. I still consider myself very open minded about music at the age of 56 and still enjoy everything from classical to Indie to punk and everything in between. Rap is my least favorite genre, but there are some rap songs that I really liked in the past. It has evolved like rock has evolved, and if Kendrick Lamar represents what rap has evolved to, then it is sh*t, because his music is sh*t. There was no "show", just him standing alone on stage grabbing his crotch and rapping lyrics I could barely understand. The huge crowd of young people are jumping up and down to his every word - not sure if they got paid to do that, or if they got a free hit of Ecstasy.

Watching it got me thinking about this thread. What would it take for Alizee to be able to put on a show that would draw such an audience? Alizee did a few songs that I would consider rap. There is the one where she dances around the drummer in concert, and Decolage. Coming from her, it was sexy, but definitely something for a young Alizee to sing, and not where she is at now. From Psyche to Blonde, she has tested the waters with different styles of music and nothing seems to stick. I think the song Blonde was an attempt at putting out a song where she does some dancing (at least in the official video). I think that she was thinking that album would put her back on the map. She looked really great as a blond, but I came away thinking the song was gimmicky and forgettable. It looks like everybody else did too.

You mention Katy Perry. Her voice is very good, her songwriting is even better, but her promotion and production is spectacular. Same with Lady Gaga, who I have a lot of respect for as an artist. Aside from the ridiculous outfits and sometimes trashy behavior lies a person with a very beautiful voice and great musical talent. Same as Katy, she puts on a spectacular show.

Alizee, as far as I know, cannot write music. She needs to buy it, or have a songwriter/producer invest in her like MF/LB. I don't think anybody would want to invest in her now unless the potential payback is big, which would include a lot of touring with a big show after an album release. Trying not to be biased because we love the girl, taking account her recent musical history and opening of a new dance studio, who would take this risk? I am pretty pessimistic that Alizee and Mylene would work together again, but who knows.

I don't think there is anything wrong with her taking more of an Indie route and try to find her niche and performing in smaller venues. One of my favorite female vocalists is Alison Krauss. She has a voice like an angel and is beautiful. She teams with the band Union Station and produce excellent bluegrass. I saw them in concert in a theater setting and it was awesome. She sells out wherever she goes. In other words, it doesn't have to be big to be successful.

Edit:

I wanted to add before I forget that Alizee kind of pigeonholed herself with her tattoos. I don't bring this up to steer the conversation to her tattoos, but I think it is relevant. Image is everything. Her musical choices must match her look or the people won't fall for it. Just my opinion.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 01-09-2018 at 08:33 AM..