View Single Post
Old 08-19-2020, 06:11 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I had a couple of years of French in my high school days. then just about nothing after that until many years later and Alizee came along. Though it was long ago, when I looked into the meanings of Alizee's songs, there were so many words I didn't know but I still remembered the articles, the pronouns, conjunctions and the prepositions and how their sentences are structured so that once finding out the translation of a few key words, I was quickly able to figure out what was being said.

I agree too with what someone said that to learn it well, you have be able to converse with someone else who knows it very well.

You also have to take a hard look at what you want out of this. Realistically, outside of following Alizee will there be a real need to learn the language and if you do, to what extent? Is your goal that if you happen to meet her someday, you'd like to be able to have a casual conversation without pulling a translator out or do you want to be able to walk into a college classroom in Paris one day and debate French politics?

I would say go ahead and take a year of French. The French history, culture and language have been such a big part of our world, at least in my neck of the woods, that I don't think you will regret it.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 08-19-2020 at 06:13 PM..