View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Оле Оле

alizeefan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightks View Post
Hi everyone, I was thinking about learning some french. Alizée has had a really big effect on me and I feel like learning french is a good idea. I just have a few questions.
1. Did anyone here have the urge to learn french because of Alizée and did you actually succeed.

2. What materials did you use and how long did it take you.

3. Is French a hard language to learn?

I already know a few languages. I'm fluent in English, I can understand Tamil and Telugu (indian languages), and I can read, write, and somewhat speak Japanese. I am also wondering if already knowing other languages will have an effect on learning French?

Thanks
First to say i agree as Scruffy and Ronald stated above if you do not use it you may lose it , which may be differing depending on the individuals memory skills . Definitely something to take into heavy consideration when considering learning . Also to add there when reading about people learning languages it is VERY very helpful to use it with a native or learned speaker/s that way you become accustomed to the nuances . The best way to learn is to be using it on a daily basis . Now from researching i have found that everyone recommends the Rosetta Stone tools but it is expensive .

With that in mind and after some researching for free tools i found byki -

http://www.byki.com/

They also have the upgraded pay version but the free one seems great.
Now i can not say if the lessons work as time has not permitted me to get highly involved to learn but they seem very well writ also having a native speaker say the words so you can learn by hearing as well reading .
More importantly as elated above about using the language to learn , one of the tools is they hook you up with people who speak the language you want to learn to be sorta pen/chat pals . That way you can teach them languages you know and they want to learn and vice versa by not only writing but talking too . Add to that it is pretty cool to become friends with people around the world or in the country you are interested in .

One more tool i found helpful is to create my own desktop wallpaper background with words and alphabet translations .
That way it is right there for you to see and study constantly or easily refer back to without having to open things .

1. - Yes i have the urge but yet to get into it due to time restraints.

2. - Again i would like to get the Rosetta Stone but expensive so trying Byki .

3. - Depends on how much time you have as well effort put into learning .
Also each individual will be different in learning/memory skills.

Another thing to keep in mind which i think many overlook is -
As with any language there are varying dialects depending on location one is in of the respective country . From what i understand and evidence all over this forum about her pronunciations , Alizee being from the Corsica island has a variation on the dialects with both French and English . For instance on dialects , talk to someone from New York , LA or Texas and not only is the accent different but the wording and phrases will vary greatly too .

Last edited by alizeefan; 08-08-2010 at 03:52 PM..