View Single Post
Old 06-25-2021, 11:49 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise View Post
Why isn't Alizée/French music successful in the US?
To be honest I don't think it is really all that complicated or surprising. Any foreign spoken artist will struggle in the US and other English speaking countries to enter the mainstream.

A foreign spoken artist might have 1 or 2 songs go viral on the internet for whatever reason, but in terms of sustained success, I'm not so sure.
And Alizee did get a little bit of that overseas virality with JEAM (more specifically the live performance rather than song itself), but it was initially at a time where you'd only find out about it through the internet and far less people were online, so it's kind of become a little easter egg I guess, a sort of "if you know you know" piece of internet phenomenon but never fully mainstream.

If JEAM or ML had happened today and it became a sensation, then sure it could've put Alizee's name out there in the US, but it likely would've just been a passing fad if I'm being honest.

There would be hundreds or even thousands of communities just like us who are each big fans of a certain artist, wondering why they weren't popular in the US.