View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 02:23 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
Axl Rose is no saint, but his vulgarity is an exception and not the rule. I couldn't post an average rapper's lyrics on this site without having to give myself a warning and delete the post.
I disagree that it's an exception and not the rule. Part of the appeal of both rock & roll and hip-hop is to shake things up, to rebel with and without a cause. This naturally leads some to interpret it as vulgar, but it is appreciated down the line. I mentioned an average rapper, Post Malone. I don't listen to him a lot, but there are a few of his songs that I have found enjoyable. One of his most recent hits is called Better Now, which is about looking back at an old flame and how pride got in the way of the relationship, and continues to do so because both lovers claim to be "better now" despite that not being the case. It's a common enough sentiment and situation, and if you find profanity offensive, there's only one expletive in the song, alluding to frustration. Thanks to the internet, somebody made a funny and actually pretty good 80's remake of the song:

Quote:
What a person listens to and watch they watch, eventually they will emulate. We have a generation (or two) that have trouble constructing a proper English sentence or spell correctly. My niece and her boyfriend have no filter when it comes to their speech and the profanity used in their house. They have three children, the oldest being seven. He has been dropping f-bombs since he was four. This will never be cool in my book, but maybe I am just being "old-fashioned".
I find that a lot of that is due to kids disconnecting from education and learning environments and focusing instead on the problems in their communities and across the globe. As a substitute teacher I've talked to a lot of students with difficult situations at home; while a good education may well be their ticket out of that, their everyday reality simply takes up too much of their young lives. It's unfortunate that the youngster has picked up profanity that early. I myself believe that there's a time and a place for it. However that is not so much hip-hop's fault as it is the parenting.

Quote:
I am not trashing every song by every rapper because there is some good stuff out there. Eminem's "When I'm Gone" is a great song and video with a strong message. I like a few songs here and there, mainly those written by Timbaland. In fact, he wrote Ayo Technology. But as a whole, hip hop is repetitive and boring. It's probably pretty close to running it's course and fading into the sunset.
Although I'm not a big fan of some of the more recent trends and subgenres of hip-hop, I really doubt that will be the case, but I guess we'll see in the next 10-15 years

Quote:
Alizee cannot help being cute. I love it when she speaks English. She seems to have problems enunciating "H" when it is the first letter of a word.
I'm pretty sure that comes from the French language, where the H is silent in such cases. Think for example of homme, or haute couture