View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue558 View Post
No worries, you're right. What I was getting at was "French" artists as in the language but "French-speaking" is a better translation. I'm nowhere near fluent and sometimes the most difficult thing is finding an English equivalent of a French word, if you know what I mean. As in - you know what the French word means as such, but can't find a way of expressing it in English. For "francophone", "French-speaking" is more accurate than just "French". In fact, Mylène herself is from Quebec.

Although “francophone” does exist in English, it is rarely used, I find. I therefore tend to translate it to “French-speaking”.

Oh yes, knowing the meaning of the word in French and not finding the exact equivalent in English, or vice-versa, happens to me all the time. Sometimes, there is just no true equivalent. What is worse for me are words that are the same in English and French, but don’t quite mean the same thing. Arrrrrrgggghhh! Or sound replacement when I write in English (to = too, then = than...). I have to concentrate like crazy, end even than...

For a decade or so, but a long time after MF had left Québec, I actually lived a few streets away from where she was born. She is from Québec, but she got French nationality through her parents, if I remember well.